- Chairman The Grand International Club Pvt Ltd
- Patron in Chief Sarwar Foundation
- Patron in Chief Meraj Khalid Welfare Turst
- Former Governor of The Punjab Pakistan & Chancellor of Universities of Punjab 2018-2022
- Former Member of Senate of Pakistan
- Former Governor of The Punjab Pakistan & Chancellor of Universities of Punjab 2013 – 2015
- Former Member of British Parliament 1997 – 2010
- Former Chairman Scottish Affairs Select
A successful businessman, philanthropist and politician, Mohammad Sarwar was born in Faisalabad, Pakistan and moved to Scotland in the mid 70’s to join his wife Perveen with whom he has four children. After arriving in Scotland, he became successful in the Scottish Wholesale sector. He joined British politics in early 80’s and became Britain’s first Muslim MP and Scotland’s first ethnic minority MP. He moved to Pakistan in 2013 where he pursued his political career and charity work to benefit the people of Pakistan. In 2014 in recognition of his human rights activism and philanthropy, Mohammad Sarwar was awarded the honorary doctorate degree by University of the West of Scotland on July 10, 2014
In recognition of his human rights activism and philanthropy, he was awarded the honorary doctorate degree by University of the West of Scotland in July 10, 2014.
Political Career in UK & Pakistan
- Governor of The Punjab September 2018 – 2022
- Chancellor of Universities of the Punjab September 2018 – 2022
- Elected member of Senate of Pakistan March 2018 – Sept 2018
- Joined Pakistan Tehreek e Insaf as a senior leader & Organizer Punjab 2015
- The Governor of Punjab & Chancellor of Universities of the Punjab Pakistan 2013 – 2015
- Member of the Liaison Parliamentary Select Committee, 2005-2010
- Chairman of the Scottish Affairs Parliamentary Select Committee, 2005-2010
- Elected MP, Glasgow Central, 2005-2010
- Chairman of the Parliamentary Labour Party – Scotland, 2003-2004
- Deputy Chairman of the Parliamentary Labour Party – Scotland, 2002-2003
- Re-elected MP, Glasgow Govan, 2001-2005
- Member of the Scottish Affairs Parliamentary Select Committee, 1999-2005
- Elected as first ever Muslim Member of UK Parliament & Scotland’s first ever Ethnic Minority MP, Glasgow Govan, 1997-2001
- Chairman of General Purposes Committee, Glasgow City Council 1995-1997
- Member of GMB, since 1997
- Re-elected Councillor, Glasgow City Council, 1995 – 1997
- First Non white, Muslim & Ethnic Minority Executive Member of the Labour Party Scottish Executive Committee, 1994-1997
- Deputy Convenor Race Relations Board, Glasgow City Council, 1992-1995
- Elected Councillor, Glasgow City Council, 1992-1995
- Member of the Labour Party, since 1984
Voluntary / Charitable / Entrepreneur
- Chairman The Grand Overseas Club Pvt Ltd – 2022 – present
- Founder Sarwar Foundation, an international NGO – 2000-present
- Chairman, Council for Human Rights – Scotland, 1982-1992
- Executive Committee, Pakistan Social & Cultural Society, 1982-1984
- Executive member, The Islamic Centre – Glasgow, 1980-1984
- General Secretary, The Islamic Centre – Glasgow, 1984-1986
- Chairman, Pollokshields Development Association – Glasgow, 1988-1992
- Founding member and office bearer, Ethnic Minority Law Centre (Glasgow)
- Founding member and office bearer, Ethnic Minority Enterprise Centre (Glasgow)
- Member, Medical Aid for Palestinians – UK,
- Found & Chairman Sarwar Foundation – UK, 2000– 2018
- Member of Scottish Friends of Palestine
- Advisor to Board of Trustees, Taleem Trust Glasgow
- Advisor to Youth Counselling Service Agency, Glasgow
- Advisor to Board of University of Management and Technology – Lahore, Pakistan
Key initiatives as the Governor of Punjab – 2018 – 2022
- 2018 – Dec – opened the doors of the Governor House to the public for the first time in its history.
- 2019 – Jan – Founded & became the Chair of the Religious Heritage & Tourism
- 2019 – Relaunched Boy Scouts across Punjab
- 2019 – Held the biggest ever Iftaris (opening Fast during month of Ramadan) at the Governor House where more than 50k plus people were invited throughout the month of Ramadan to the Governor House and at zero cost to the Government.
- 2019 – May – Hosted the Vice President of the Republic of China
- 2019 – June – Hosted the President of Afghanistan Mr Ashraf Ghani
- 2019 – Founded & became the Patron in Chief of the Punjab Aab-e-Pak Authority to provide clean drinking water to the people of Punjab.
- 2019 – Governor Punjab Mohammad Sarwar visited Portugal and the EU – Belgium where he met 24 MEPs and State Officials to support the extension of GSP+ Status for Pakistan.
- 2019 – Sept – Governor Punjab visits Uzbekistan and there the city of Lahore & Uzbek City Namangan were declared as sister states
- 2020 – Formalization of Punjab Development Network – a network of 190+ NGOs and charities to help the deserving people of Pakistan and affectees of Corona
- 2020 – April – Governor orders teaching of Holy Quran with translation in the Universities as Chancellor of all universities of the Punjab.
- 2020 – March – Founded & launched Telemedicine Helpline Health Centres across the province of Punjab and in the province of Baluchistan which benefitted hundreds of thousands of local people
- 2020 – COVID-19 HEROES WALL – a monument made of marble that was built at the Governor House Lahore to honour all those who contributed for Corona victims
- 2020 – As the Chairman of Punjab Agriculture Committee, the Governor launched the committee for best practices in Agriculture, to promote quality of seed, enhance productivity of crops
- 2021 – June – Visited the USA and there in California Assembly, the province of Punjab and State of California were declared as sister states
- 2021 – June – as the Chancellor of the Universities of Punjab, Mohammad Sarwar signed the MOU between the Agriculture University of Faisalabad and University of California
- 2021 – October – Governor Punjab Mohammad Sarwar visited the EU Parliament in Brussels, PM’s office in Hungary and Assembly members in Italy. The Governor Punjab met with 40+ MEPs, VP of EU Parliament, Chairman of International Trade Committee, and other officials to successfully lobby support for the retention of GSP+ till 2022 and then its extension till 2023 & beyond. Mohammad Sarwar also discussed the issue of Basmati Rice exports and the current situation of Afghanistan and Kashmir.
- 2021 – Nov – Dec – Governor Punjab visited the Scottish and UK Parliaments where he met with more than 120 UK & Scottish Parliamentarians including Leaders & Deputy Leaders of UK and Scottish political parties, Lords, Baronesses, Speaker of House of Lords, State Ministers, State Secretaries, Chief Whips etc and as a result a number of visits were planned by the UK & Scottish parliamentarians to Pakistan. The agenda of the visit was:
- the current looming humanitarian crises in Afghanistan that will likely spill into Pakistan & Pakistan’s sacrifices; Refugees; across border terrorist activity etc. And Pakistan’s stance that Humanitarian Aid should be unconditional
- the drastic reduction in UK aid to Pakistan over the last few years impacting key initiatives related to girls education
- the enhancement of bilateral trade between UK / Scotland and Pakistan including Research & development projects & University affiliations and promotion of tourism
- the work Pakistan is doing for minorities & the focus on religious tourism esp the Kartarpur Corridor
- 2021 – Dec 6 & 7 – Governor Punjab was invited to the 12th. Bosphorous Summit, Istanbul Turkey with the theme of “Meeting the Challenges for a Better World”. Mohammad Sarwar was invited as the Opening Speaker of the 12th. Bosphorous Summit. The aim of the summit was to contribute to the strengthening of international cooperation and partnerships as well as addressing global and regional challenges more effectively.
- 2021 Dec – 2022 Jan – The Governor of Punjab hosted a number of high profile delegations who visited Pakistan on his invitation – an outcome of his visit to the UK in Nov 2021. The delegates included Deputy Leader of the Labour party Rt Hon Angela Raynor & Lord Wajid Khan, Lord Aamer Sarfraz Conservative Party, Lord Daniel Hannan Conservative Party, adviser to Board of Trade & founding president of the Initiative for Free Trade with Dr Nasir Awan MBE DL & Naweed Khan, and MSP Ms Anum Qaiser.
- Selected by the British Prime Minister to visit Sri Lanka as part of a Parliamentary delegation lead by Rt. Hon. Des Browne MP during the period of civil unrest in 2009.
- Member of British Parliamentary delegations, to visit and strengthen Britain’s ties with Morocco – Tunisia – Kuwait – Iran – Pakistan – Saudi Arabia – Indonesia
- During my tenure as British MP, was an active member of over 20 All Party Parliamentary Groups (APPG’s), and was an office bearer of the APPG on Pakistan, Secretary to the APPG on Terrorism, Chairman & Vice-Chairman of APPG on Kuwait
- Proprietor, Independent retail store, 1976 – 1980
- Director of the following companies in the UK
- United Wholesale Grocers Ltd
- United Wholesale Scotland Ltd
- Kidz Kingdom Ltd
- Director of the following companies in Pakistan
- United Global Pvt Ltd
- Primary education from Chak No. 331 GB Distt.: T.T.Singh.
- Middle & High School education from Chak No.333 GB. Distt.: T. T.Singh.
- Higher education from Government College, Faisalabad
- Chief prefect, New Hostel, Government College, Faisalabad, 1973-74,
- Directed a successful national fundraising campaign to raise £1 million and build 1000 new homes in Pakistan following the devastating floods of 2010
- Directed a successful international fundraising campaign for Sarwar Foundation enabling it to establish 3 state of the art free hospitals in rural Pakistan. The first Foundation hospital opened its doors in 2005 and now treats over 6000 patients a month
- Worked with the Chief Minister of Punjab to help improve emergency service’s provision in Punjab, which amongst other things resulted in the setting up of Rescue 1122 – a dedicated free hotline number for accessing the Punjab Emergency Services
- Assisted leaders of the Sikh Community in achieving their ambitions for a purpose built Gurdwara for Glasgow’s Sikh community
- Assisted leaders of the Muslim community in their successful campaign for a new Muslim burial site in Glasgow which spans over 30 acres and will accommodate the needs of the Muslim community for the next decade
- Successfully negotiated the extradition of 3 individuals back to the UK who had fled to Pakistan in order for them to stand trial for the murder of Scottish teenager Kriss Donald
- Successfully negotiated and secured the release of British Pakistani girls forced into marriage in Pakistan
- Successfully led the campaign to save Scotland’s Shipyards
- After 7/7 – Visited all Major cities and towns in the UK to create better understanding between communities
- Campaigner for the implementation of United Nations Resolutions on Palestine and the creation of a independent Palestinian state living in peace side by side with the state of Israel
- Led delegations to visit the West Bank and Gaza and highlight the suffering of the people of Palestine
- Campaigner for a peaceful resolution between India and Pakistan on the issue of Kashmir
- Founding member, Save the Bosnian Campaign, 1995
- Campaigner, Anti-Apartheid Movement in Africa
- Campaigner for Woman’s rights, focusing on tackling domestic violence and forced marriage
- Post 9/11 campaigned within the UK to avoid any backlash against Muslims by Non Muslims
- Campaigned against war in Iraq in the Parliament.